Thursday, March 1, 2012

Bloghop: Breastfeeding in Public Blooper

Breastfeeding in public was something I was nervous about when the boy was a newborn. I didn't do it much because I was unsure of myself. I just brought a bottle of pumped milk with if we went anywhere. Around 6 weeks of age I started to become more comfortable with it. We began nursing in public with a blanket over the boy, more because I'm nervous that he would pop off. These days, at 8 months, he doesn't really like being covered up anymore so I just have it around just in case.

Really, the only "blooper" I'd say we've had actually happened just yesterday. AJ, the boy, and I had just looked at a place we were interested in renting, about 2 hours away from where we live now. We had just gotten on the highway when the boy began screeching to tell us about his hunger, right as snow was added to the mix of 50+ mph winds.
There was no shoulder on the road, so I turned onto the first gravel road that I saw and pulled to the side. AJ got the boy out of his carseat and handed him to me. No sooner had we started nursing when I see a cop car pull up behind us and turn his lights on. I thought, "Really..." as I unlatched the boy and adjusted my shirt.
AJ said, "No, keep feeding him," but the policeman (who is probably in his mid-20s) was already up to the window.
I roll down my window and AJ jumps right in and says, "We're breastfeeding!"
The cop shifts his eyes sheepishly and says, "Oh, okay. Glad to see you're pulled over and not doing it while driving down the road!"
I say, "Yep, thanks."
Haha it was awesome.

1 comment: