Saturday, June 16, 2012

We Weaned

We weaned! It was the right time for us since Max really only wanted to nurse when I got home from work and at night. Plus, since I started working again, I remembered how much I HATED pumping. Especially since I just started a new job and pumping while eating lunch was just not something I wanted to do anymore.
We took Max for a weight check since he hadn't been gaining enough. AJ and I decided previously that if he had gained a sufficient amount we would wean. I knew I wasn't really producing much during the day anyway since at the beginning of April I was with my grandpa for 2 days and barely pumped anything.
On Friday, May 25 we began the weaning process. I went camping with some friends and decided to only take my manual pump along in case I became too engorged. It turns out I did need to pump, and people I don't know too well kept looking at me weird because I absentmindedly kept massaging my boobs. Full boobs hurt! I came home on the 27th and was still pretty engorged even though I had been pumping every 8 hours or so to take the edge off. Max really wanted to nurse and I was still hurting so we did. I wasn't quite ready to not do it anymore, and actually getting kind of emotional about it. I kept nursing him when I got home from work, but we started giving him a sippy of breastmilk when he woke up at night and formula during the day when I was at work. The last time we nursed was Thursday, May 31 when I got home from work. It was bittersweet, but I wasn't as sad as I thought I would be. Actually, when we started giving him sippies at night instead of breastfeeding, Max went from waking up at least twice at night and ending up in bed with us, to once a night, and now 2 weeks later he usually sleeps from 8 or 9 to 5ish. It is amazing!!!! Plus, since AJ can feed him at night now, if he wakes up we take turns.
The transition went really well. It was better than I ever imagined. The only time he wanted to that I didn't was the next night I got home from work, and then I just distracted him and gave him a sippy. I am glad that we decided to wean then. We were both pretty ready, and I was getting anxious to have my body back, and maybe a bit more sleep. I was still leaking until a couple days ago, though, but I am hoping that is finally done.
My baby boy is not so much of a baby anymore! He has been walking across the room for a few days now, but not full time walking just yet. Before I know it I'm sure he'll be 28 with a little one on the way and I'll be butting into my daughter-in-laws plans to breastfeed! Oh, sigh of happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment