Friday, July 13, 2012

Sickies

We've been a little under the weather around this household. First, about 2-3 weeks ago I felt like I was getting a UTI. Of course, I haven't been at my job too long, so my insurance didn't kick in until July 1. I decided to just try drink bucketloads of water and cranberry juice and take over the counter Azo. This seemed to help and for a few days I thought I had flushed it out. Then, on Monday the 2nd, I started getting a backache at work. It got progressively worse over the day, and my head started hurting as well. On Tuesday the 3rd I woke up with the worst headache, back ache, and nausea I've had in a long time. I cried. That's how bad it hurt. I went through 28 hours of unmedicated labor last year without crying, and I cried. I decided it was time to go to the Urgent Care. I get 3 minutes down the road, and have to pull over and throw up. 20 minutes later, I show up at UC, tell them I have a UTI, and have to give a urine sample. I then wait 45 minutes for the doctor to come in to tell me what I already know... I have a UTI. He gives me a prescription for Bactrim and sends me on my way. I feel much better by the time I get home, thank god.
I was in normal-feeling bliss until Saturday the 7th, when I woke up with a sore throat. I don't think too much of it, until Sunday the 8th, when I wake up with really itchy hands and feet. I could no longer eat/drink anything that wasn't soft. Then, Monday, I have this red, spotty rash on my hands and feet. My fingertips looked like someone pinpricked each one about 20 times. I decide it's liveable, so I don't go back to the doctor. When I talked to my BFF, who is also a nurse, on the phone on Thursday, I mentioned my symptoms. She "diagnosed" me with hand, foot, and mouth. WTF? Seriously? I had thought only kids got it, but apparently her brother-in-law just got over it. My sore throat and rash have gone away, but my hands are still super dry and my skin feels tight.
Then, AJ called me on my way home from work yesterday to say that Max had been crying a lot all day. He had noticed a diaper rash and thought that was the cause. I started worrying that I had given whatever I had to him! I got home and looked at his tush, and of course it was red, red, red. Max and I took a nice long bath. I stripped his diaper off, then climbed into the tub by myself. He was standing next to the tub, and all of a sudden he peed all over the rug. He hasn't peed out of his diaper since he was probably 2 months old. I laughed so hard, and I think he was proud of himself because he smiled ear to ear. After getting out of the bath, getting lotioned and creamed, and reading stories with mama he seemed to be feeling better.
We haven't had a breakout of sickness of this magnitude round these parts... ever, I think. I'm so glad we are back to full force.

No comments:

Post a Comment